MGR Gaming Ethics Policy
We at MGR Gaming ensure our writing complies with commonly accepted journalistic standards and ethics so that our readers can trust our opinions and views on gaming matters. Our staff need to adhere to disclosing any relationships with the material we are covering so as not to appear biased in our opinions.
Any professional or personal interests that pose a conflict with these standards risk our credibility and our trust in our readers. The staff, the management, and the public must remain ever-watchful to bring any potential conflicts of interest to our attention. Under no circumstances should the staff alter a report for personal or business gain, unless for a paid for endorsement which we will disclose.
Ultimately, the decisions made regarding what, when, and how we report on material is decided by us and not by our advertisers. All MGR Gaming staff are reminded of this policy and need to comply with all of these points. If you have any questions regarding this policy, you may contact your supervisor.
Factual & Accurate Reporting
- All information must be verified for accuracy. No misinformation will be tolerated.
- All information must be free of any bias unless otherwise stated.
- Article headlines must summarize the source information without oversimplifying or “click baiting”.
- When reporting on potential allegations, neutral language and writing must be used so that our readers are not swayed to think the event has actually happened. No suggestive wording is to be used.
- When writing on rumours or hearsay regarding a developer, company, or person, multiple sources are required. Sources may vary between screen shots of a message, a picture taken of a magazine page, or other means of reasonable sourcing.
- Any and all relationships between the subject matter and the writer must be disclosed. This includes any and all personal and monetary relationships. Failure to disclose this information could lead to corruption charges.
- Staff must not write about subjects that they are close to (i.e. writing about a developer who you are in a relationship with in any way).
- When writing an opinion or editorial piece, the writer must disclose this in the material to reflect the author’s insertion of their own opinion or bias, so that it is not taken as fact.
- MGR Gaming sometimes publishes sponsored content in writing or video content. This will always be explicitly clear on the content, as well as under the by-line the content is published under.
- If MGR Gaming receives a full-page, direct advertisement for a video game or other product that could be reported on, MGR Gaming must recuse future coverage of said product.
- We will always let you know if we were provided a copy of a review by the developer/publisher for the review in question Gaming does not have contact with developers or publishers regarding the final review score before it’s published.
- MGR Gaming writers do not cover developers or publishers whom they’ve previously invested in or are currently investing (financially or personally), who have previously employed them, or to whom they’re related or have close relationships.
- We may write previews or reviews on games that we have financially backed either on
- Kickstarter, Indiegogo, or other means of crowd-funding. If the writer in question has financially
- backed a game pre-release, we always disclose this in the preview or review.
Acceptance of Promotional Materials
- MGR Gaming may receive promotional materials from advertisers, publishers, and or vendors regarding a game or a game’s release. All physical copies of games remain the property of MGR Gaming and are kept within our library for reviewing and reporting purposes. We happily oblige any advertiser, publisher, and or vendor requesting the disposal or return of their product(s).
- MGR Gaming may giveaway or raffle off branded merchandise and or materials from advertisers, publishers, or vendors. All of the decisions regarding the handling of materials given to MGR Gaming are handled by management.
- We do not accept gifts, travel or accommodation from companies we cover. If we cover or review a game at a company-sponsored or monitored event, we will disclose this. If we are provided accommodation or transportation from a sponsored company, the staff involved shall recuse themselves from said game/company.
MGR Gaming occasionally provides links to stores or product pages that include affiliate links that directly contribute to the MGR Gaming budget. We will always clearly disclose when, if ever, these affiliate links are included in articles or in social media posts.